Re: Nouveau Experiments (was: Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root')

In <[🔎] 784041656.444588.1304907525303.JavaMail.root@md01.wow.synacor.com>,
Stephen Powell wrote:
>On Sun, 08 May 2011 19:01:00 -0400 (EDT), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> BTW, anyone know how to request that the non-X virtual terminals not use
>> the framebuffer?  It looks quite weird with my setup, so I'd prefer text
>> mode VTs for the most part.
>
>I don't think that's possible.  If you use the nouveau driver in X, you must
>use the framebuffer for text virtual consoles.  However, there are ways to
>configure things to give your text virtual consoles (vt1-vt6) a more normal
>"look and feel". By default, it uses the same timings for both text and
>graphics mode.  So, for example, if your X server uses a 1024x768 graphics
>mode, your regular vts will use a 128x48 text console.  (1024/8 = 128,
>768/16 = 48.)  But you can override that by using the "video" kernel boot
>parameter.  For example,
>
>   video=VGA-1:640x400@70
>
>(assuming a CRT monitor).  This will give you a standard 80x25 text console
>(640/8 = 80, 400/16 = 25)

The problem I am having is a bit more subtle.  The framebuffer completely
fills my 19" monitor, but the framebuffer has gaps on the bottom and right of
my 24" monitor.  Both are connected to the same physical card.

In text mode, both monitors are completely filled, the text on the 19" is
simply smaller.

I wonder why KMS can't switch between a framebuffer mode and a text mode.
80x24 text mode is a part of the VESA standard, IIRC.

I guess I'll look into kernel / module parameters.