Re: Nouveau Experiments (was: Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root')

On Mon, 09 May 2011 01:45:33 -0400 (EDT), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> The problem I am having is a bit more subtle.  The framebuffer completely
> fills my 19" monitor, but the framebuffer has gaps on the bottom and right of
> my 24" monitor.  Both are connected to the same physical card.

Are these two monitors connected simultaneously?  If so, you need to specify
the "video" kernel boot parameter twice, once for each connector.
See the boot messages for the connector names (i.e. VGA-1 & VGA-2 or
VGA-1 & DVI-I-1, etc.)

Also, keep in mind that a fixed-resolution display, such as an LCD display,
will probably use only a portion of the screen if the resolution specified
is not the maximum supported.  A traditional CRT monitor does not generally
act that way.

> I wonder why KMS can't switch between a framebuffer mode and a text mode.
> 80x24 text mode is a part of the VESA standard, IIRC.

Good question.  I'm not sure.  Perhaps they wanted to speed up transitions
between virtual consoles.  Perhaps they wanted more flexibility in text modes.
I don't know.

> I guess I'll look into kernel / module parameters.

A good place to start is

   http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell