Re: Need debian package management status files explained

On Sun, 08 May 2011, Ciaran Smith wrote:
> My confusion begins with these files:
> /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin

Read the apt source and any documentation on its internals.

> /var/lib/dpkg/status
> /var/lib/dpkg/available

Read the dpkg source, and possibly the dselect source (ick), as well as
the documentation on dpkg internals.

> If you remove a package it is removed from the status file. I presume
> apt-get
> relies on status to tell if a package is already installed?

apt-get relies on dpkg, so you now need to go into dpkg internals.

> My understanding is that dpkg does not have the concept of a configured
> remote repository.

Correct.

> So in the world of dpkg, what does it mean to say that a package is
> "available"?

AFAIK, it is some old crap related to dselect, so take a look at dselect
as well.  It is also possible that apt uses it for something.

> I figure I need to understand how dpkg works because apt builds on top of
> it.

Correct.

I think you can get better answers in the dpkg development ML... this thread
is kind out-of-depth for debian-user :-p

  Henrique Holschuh