Re: /etc/resolv.conf file is empty (was: Network problem {start of part 2})

On 08/05/11 14:29, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 13:30:59 +0100, AG wrote:

On 08/05/11 11:55, Brian wrote:
On Sun 08 May 2011 at 10:34:00 +0100, AG wrote:

But, after rebooting this file was again blank, stopping me from
accessing the Net. How can I ensure that this file remains populated
between reboots?  Or does this file get generated by some other
function, and in which case, what?
What is the output of

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
rc  resolvconf
1.48                              name server information handler
Ein?>>>:-)

So you finally do have it installed.

Remember that this package can be also interferring with your "/etc/
resolv.conf" file so either you configure it properly or you remove it.
Choose your poison :-)
And yet ...

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  resolvconf*

So it must be some libraries? But even inserting the wildcard throws the same response, witness:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'resolvconf' for regex 'resolvconf*'
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  resolvconf*

What does this mean?

AG