Re: [OT] What SmartPhone for a FreeTard??? [Was: Poll - What Smartphone do you use?]

In <[🔎] BANLkTimqBMGHBN1pMsRo5Os7+TCy4UWt=A@mail.gmail.com>, Chris Brennan wrote:
>On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Roger Morgan <halbtaxabo-deb@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>Well, there's the Openmoko Freerunner:
>> http://www.openmoko.com/freerunner.html
>> It's clunky and buggy, but it's free as in freedom,
>> and it's usable as a cellphone, just.
>
>It also only appears to be sold from half a dozen vendors in Europe.... I
>would wager a guess, it only works in Europe too...

No.  The FreeRunner works on any GSM network.  I own a Neo 1973, though I
never used it as my primary phone, as T-Mobile coverage where I am at is too
spotty. The only other GSM provider is AT&T, who I'd prefer to avoid on the
principle that they screwed the public once and will likely do it again ASAP.

Still, if you are with or can get good service from a GSM provider in the USA,
the FreeRunner will work fine, and it's as open source as you get.