[OT] What SmartPhone for a FreeTard??? [Was: Poll - What Smartphone do you use?]
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [OT] What SmartPhone for a FreeTard??? [Was: Poll - What Smartphone do you use?]
- From: Klistvud <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:57:24 +0200
- Message-id: <1304449044.4063.1@compax>
- In-reply-to: <20110503174114.GD3866@swansys> (from firstname.lastname@example.org on Tue May 3 19:41:14 2011)
Dne, 03. 05. 2011 19:41:14 je green napisal(a):
shawn wilson wrote at 2011-05-03 10:55 -0500:
> On May 3, 2011 11:06 AM, "green" <email@example.com> wrote:
> > Probably the Nokia N810 does not count, considering it is not GSM
> > capable. And at this point it seems unlikely that Debian will
ever run on
> > it.
> Whaaaaat? Might want to Google again. IIRC, Nokia's phones were the
> to linux 5+ years before Apple or Google ever thought of making a
> n7xx, n8xx and n9xx should run most (if not all?) linux programs
that can be
> compiled on an ARM.
> IIRC, OS2008 was a port of debian.
I expected a response like this. ;)
By "run Debian" I mean actually run Debian armel. I have run Debian
linux-omap-2.6 kernel on the N810 in the past, but the battery
no GPS, no X, couldn't read internal mmc, audio problems, etc.
"it didn't work".
So, what are currently the most "free" options out there? It doesn't
have to be Debian -- heck, it doesn't even have to be Linux, as long as
it's free as in freedom (or sort of).
I've been buying strictly Symbian for years, but with their "smart"
leap through Windows, Nokia has lost another customer. So, what vendors
should I be checking out if I want:
1. something free-ish *that works* (yep, including the camera, the GPS,
the music player, even the memory card; too much to ask?)
2. a freedom-friendly vendor that offers low-end "dumbphones" too (for
my kids and those who just need the occasional SMS, and don't want to
carry a CRAY in their pocket)
Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to