Re: specific kernel configuration for graphic card driver

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Panayiotis Karabassis <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/01/2011 02:52 PM, lina wrote:
>> fglrx-driver depends on xserver-xorg (>= 1:7.6+1)
>> fglrx-driver depends on xorg-video-abi-8
>> xorg-video-abi-8 does not appear to be available
>
> Is this from aptitude? Don't install the binary package, just the

Yes. it's from the source... by aptitude.

> *source* (apt-get source). Then modify the dependencies, to create a

How to modify the dependencies? you mean, modify the *.dsc? or

> package that will build and run on Squeeze. We're betting on the
> possibility that these are not really *required* dependencies and that
> an older version of the xserver will do as well.

But I did meet the dependencies issue and seems not simple skip over.

> Also have you thought about upgrading to Wheezy? It's a well documented
> process, but there pros (newer software) and cons (instability, bugs -
> but not too many).

I consider (and hesitate) to update to the wheezy but I also worry I
can't handle it.

> It is also possible to upgrade just the xserver. There are two steps.
> a) Add wheezy to /etc/apt/sources.list
> b) Add as many packages from wheezy as are required to
> /etc/apt/preferences and forbid the rest (in the same file). See:
>
> $ man apt_preferences

I will read, but not so clearly about how to proceed it. Thanks again.