Re: specific kernel configuration for graphic card driver

On 05/01/2011 09:22 AM, lina wrote:
> Thanks for providing me the links and information.

You are welcome!

> Part 1:
>
> last time I tried that one (install from squeeze one), it popped some
> errors like:
>

> $ more /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
>
> Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.831.2/source ->
>                  /usr/src/fglrx-8.831.2
>
> DKMS: add Completed.
>
> Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...
>
> Building module:
> cleaning build area....
> cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.831.2/build; sh make.sh --nohints
> --uname_r=2.6.38-mbp8
> 2-nhg --norootcheck.....(bad exit status: 1)
> 0
> 0
> [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-8.831.2 with DKMS
> [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-8.831.2 from DKMS
>
> ------------------------------
> Deleting module version: 8.831.2
> completely from the DKMS tree.
> ------------------------------
> Done.

We could research this further. But it's probably not worth it, because,
if your card is new, it will require a recent driver, which is not
available in Squeeze.

> Part 2:
>
> Later my collage told me to build the sid one. I downloaded, but met
> the dependency problems.
>
>  the org-video-abi-8
>
> which needed update the xserver-xorg-core. But I met the conflict of
> updating the xserver-xorg-core sepearately, it would remove lots of
> other packages. so I just gave up.
>
> Part 3:
>
> Is it possible to update xserver-xorg-core from stable one to unstable
> one? without something I worry that I can't handle.

Have you tried the driver in Wheezy (testing)? It may have more relaxed
dependencies and still be up to date. But it probably won't.

So let's do this. Try to compile the fglrx package from sid on squeeze.

$ apt-get source ${fglrx-package-name}
$ cd ${fglrx-package-name}

Now edit debian/control and remove build and non-build dependencies as
necessary. Remove or relax the version strings, so it will build and run
on squeeze.

Now  you will need the devscripts package and the build-dependencies of
the fglrx package. Install these manually or try (may not work):

$ sudo apt-get build-dep ${fglrx-package-name}
$ sudo aptitude install devscripts

Now run debuild from the sources' dir. You may want to run dch to update
the revision. You may also need to install some other packages: apt-file
is your friend. There will be errors towards the end, regarding missing
gpg keys, but ignore these.

A package will be built outside the sources' dir and you can go from there.

> Thanks and best regards,
>
> lina

You are welcome, but it may be worth waiting for someone more
knowledgeable than I to reply.

- --
Best Regards,
    Panayiotis Karabassis