Re: New to Linux

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/11 09:21, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>
>> --- On Sat, 4/16/11, Andrei Popescu<andreimpopescu@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> suitable for

>>> to a noobie.  With

>>> you're doing.
>>>
>>> For mere users (no administration) Debian stable is
>>> wonderful IMVHO.
>>>
>>> It should also work if someone knowledgeable does the
>>> initial install
>>> and major upgrades and let the user do only security
>>> updates
>>> (update-manager or even completely automated).
>>
>> I wasn't referring to Linux users, those knowledgeable, either a little
>
>> or a lot, in Linux.  My statement was about those who know nothing
>>
>> about  Linux, not just nothing about Debian, almost all of whom are
>> Windows users, who unfortunately expect Linux to work like Windows,
>
> I came from Win 3.1 directly to Debian (Bo, I believe) back when dpkg was
> the package manager.  No Apt, no Aptitude, nothing GUI, just a command line
> and no automatic dependency resolution.  It told you what was needed, but it
> wasn't going to get it for you.
>
> I survived, and I am still here.

sense we are getting back to the old stuff, i figured i'd mention -
slackware 13.37 was released last week. it doesn't get more elite than
that (though it won't be too many years before 'leet' is considered
proper).

maybe i should celebrate their new version by installing it.... oh the
other hand, maybe i'll just wait another 20 years until debian gets to
version 13 and decides to do something like that (yes, according to
wikipedia, debian was first released in '93 ~1 month after slackware).

ps - this was all ~5 years before google and in the days when it would
have taken me a few months to download an iso (if i would have had the
hdd for it)

pps - we survived but some of us lost a bit of sanity working in the
(almost) internet.