Re: How to have separate kbd layouts per usb-keyboards?

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@adlp.org> schrieb:

>   so i installed for our media server 2 keyboards, one german, the other
>   french.... and now i am searching how to configure the machine to
>   allways assume german keyboard layout coming from a certain usb
>   device, and french from another... and am stuck since i didn't even
>   manage to get the beginning of a solution.....

If you're running Squeeze and if the keyboards have different USB IDs
Xserver Input hotplug could do what you want.
Have a look at INPUTCLASS SECTION in 'man xorg.conf'

I have a notebook with Swiss keyboard layout and a
USB keyboard with German layout.
I have the following file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-logitech-keyboard.conf
with the following lines:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "Logitech Keyboard"
	MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchUSBID      "046d:c30e"
        Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
EndSection

The USBID is the one you get with lsusb.

If the IDs of your keyboards are different it should be possible to define
two entries with corresponding XkbLayout.

Cheers,
Martin