Re: ttf-liberation over ttf-mscorefonts; was Re: Why doesn't debian remove the proprietary software from it's servers?

On Wednesday 27 April 2011 11:56:30 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mi, 27 apr 11, 10:11:28, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > Thank you for the hint. I tried Liberation sans instead of Arial. It
> > is not the same.
>
> AFAIU it is not meant to be "the same" (it couldn't anyway, due to
> licensing issues)
Yep, sure, understood.
> , but with the same *metrics*. If I understand this
> right, it would mean that a document written with Arial would not be
> suddenly broken, because your replacement font has different sizes ;)
There are many fonts which have problems here and there - nothing's perfect.
I'd just chose whichever font renders best for the purpose. I think it is most
important that the document format isn't broken by using a drop-in replacement
font and Liberation sans fills this purpose nicely.
I understand that if we don't start to use free fonts instead of non-free the
free fonts won't get any better over time.

> > Non ASCII fonts with diacritical signs do not render correctly on-
> > screen.
>
> Do you mean characters? I'm guessing a bug report would be appreciated
> if you can reproduce the issue.

Yes, non ASCII characters - sorry.
I'll file a bug report as soon as I can dig deeper into this minor issue.
("can" means making time for it, testing printing as well and familiarize
myself with the bug-reporting process.)
I'm still not sure if the problem is due to the font or more due to the
program in which the font is used, so I'll have to try different programs too
(editors, browsers, libreoffice, a library program and some other programs
under wine 1.3).
.>
> Regards,
> Andrei