Re: file systems

On 04/26/2011 02:41 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
I'm CC'ing back to debian-user as I believe others may find this
information useful.

Ron Johnson put forth on 4/25/2011 11:15 PM:

Stan: "Thus moving to EXT4 gains you nothing on a 32 bit machine,"

Ron: It gives me the ability to do a fsck!

Only on rare occasions should one _need_ to run xfs_check or xfs_repair.

Only one rare occasions should one *need* to change a tire. Yet we still carry one in the trunk/boot.

[snip]

The reason why you use a 32 bit system is irrelevant to me.  Though up
to this point I assumed we were discussing a server.  Regardless, use
'xfs_repair -n" instead of xfs_check and you should be good to go,
again, assuming 'xfs_repair -n' doesn't run out of memory on your machine.

As I expect storage capacity to do nothing but grow, I'm not going to take that chance.

corrupt."