debian hangs after grub

Hello

I just installed debian 6.0.1.a amd64 with net install, with a clean install (before I had 5).

The system goes to grub and when I select the non-recovery mode (2.6.32-5-amd64), I get a cursor that doesn't blink and no action at all. I waited about 5-6 mins (I thought it would be checking for a card or something else) but nothing happened. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Now, if I turn off and on the machine and:
- go to grub
- boot the recovery mode, and then at the root prompt I do a reboot
- go to grub
- boot the non recovery mode everything works fine and I get X and everything.

I wonder how I can find what happens.

I have
- an lshw (from the debian 5 installation that's not there anymore) for this machine http://pastebin.com/n7J8DWYZ
- the dmesg from the recovery mode is http://pastebin.com/UmtkYR5x

If you need any more info I can make it available.

Vangelis

PS the netinstall CD could not install with the simple installer or the graphical one (again it hanged after selecting the install option) , so I did the installation with expert install.