Re: file systems

On 04/21/2011 12:14 PM, prad wrote:
Stan Hoeppner<stan@hardwarefreak.com>  writes:

>  prad put forth on 4/20/2011 11:43 PM:
>
>>  we want to run our servers through virtual box off usb drives which is a
>>  total departure from what we've done over the years. so might as well
>>  throw in a new fs too. :D
>
>  Why USB?

since our volume is pretty small we only require around 10G.
the idea is to keep bkps on usb drives, so that if one fails, it's just
a simple plug-in to get things going again. we were thinking that we
avoid any possibility of hd failure/replacement this way and likely
reduce power requirements too.

This doesn't sound like a great idea. I'm not sure about USB speeds, but I wouldn't rely on this until you benchmark a traditionally connected SATA drive vs. USB 3. I've run systems booting off of USB 2, and performance is poor.