Re: file systems

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:
> XFS beats EXT4 hands down in nearly every category, at least for server
> workloads.  EXT4 may have some advantages on single user workstations
> simply from a familiarity standpoint WRT tools, and slightly better
> performance with some single user workloads.

I had an account on a server where they switched to XFS (from ext3)
after a system upgrade.  While XFS seemed to work well enough in
general, I encountered one starkly obvious problem with it:  deleting
large trees of small files was _insanely_ slow (e.g. large source
trees), like a couple orders of magnitude slower than ext3.

A "rm -rf" that would take a few seconds with ext3 turned into a "go get
a coffee and read for a while" event.

[I haven't used that system regularly for a few years, so if that
behavior was due to an XFS bug, perhaps it's been fixed by now.
Still, I wouldn't consider switching to XFS without verifying that...]

-miles

--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'