Re: Laptop won't boot after installation - disk error

On 2011-04-24 22:18:02, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I just did a fresh installation of Debian. Everything seemed to go off
> correctly but when I came to reboot I got:
>
> Non-system disk or disk error: replace and strike any key when ready.
>
> I reinstalled twice and also reinstalled grub twice. No errors reported.
> I suspect a hard disk failure or cmos problem. Any other ideas? Is it
> possible to boot via a cdrom? All the files are there on the hard disk
> when I look at it via rescue.

I recently upgraded my laptop and the new laptop required the
boot flag set.  You can do that via fdisk (or friends) when
booting into rescue or go through the install and set it there
but accept the option of keeping the data.  Then just restart
after the new partition table is written out.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC