Re: Please recommend an external HDD enclosure

> Not quite. With this set-up, I wanted the home partition on the external
> drive.

Yep, freebsd is a bit different. It assumes operator is not a
newbee at all.

> That is a potential candidate, because allthe installs mentione were on a
> laptop - HP nx6120 - which is now almost six years old.

Ah, I have nx9020, and freebsd on it. Works like a charm, so far.

> This was the problem. It showed up nowhere. If it had, I would have been
> able to mount it somehow, but I couldn't because as far as the O.S. was
> concerned, it didn't exist. With Debian, no problem! I'm writing to it now.
> But no chance with BSD.

You have to tell it where the partition is in fstab. I would try
with this:
  /dev/da0	/home		ufs	rw,auto		0	0
Be carefull not to have more usb devices, since than the proper
device name could be different.
What is wrong with /home on hdd? You might have it on hdd and one
soft link to nonadmin user on usb drive. Like, root on hdd and
the directory for yourself as a simlink to usb drive, which has
to be mounted during boot process (fstab). Simply, make new user,
then remove his directory, make simlink, connect usb drive, par-
tition it and make file system, then add a line to fstab and do
reboot. Correct device should be /usr/home/name.
I'n not aware if debian could read and write to ffs2.
Best regards

                                Zoran