Re: test usb drive read / write speed

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> You may find useful this link:
>
> http://grigio.org/microsd_class_6_performance_benchmarks
>
> It seems to be using "palimtest", a nice GUI tool included within the
> GNOME desktop. Just a careful note here, write speed test needs the
> device to be completely empty (with no data nor partitions).

thanks.

it's totally accecptable to wipe a SD card.

the "palimpsest" in this article is in the debian "gnome-disk-utility" package.
search it with google, i also find this article useful:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD_Benchmarking

i don't think "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" is a good idea.
mounting a fs with the flag "sync" disables it's buffers, doesn't it?

if dealing with raw device is the case. one can always use

$ dd if=infile of=/dev/raw_block_device seek=<offset>

to write to any part of that device.

i'll run palimpsest on my cards tomorrow to see if it's results cover
everything i want.

Cheers,
Tao