Re: Please recommend an external HDD enclosure

On 24 April 2011 14:01, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:
> But with the BSDs?
> Not a chance!
> With FreeBSD and PC-BSD it is dropped at the USB register stage of both the
> install and all consequent boots after O.S. install - so it's in the
> mothercode.

I assume the topic is on install to the hdd? Not using usb
hard drive as a storage?

Not quite. With this set-up, I wanted the home partition on the external drive.

It all depends on the possibility to boot from mobo via usb
device. Some older boards are not prone to let it go.

That is a potential candidate, because allthe installs mentione were on a laptop - HP nx6120 - which is now almost six years old.

Almost
all modern do the trick. During install process, you could
choose hard drive you want to install to and where you want
boot loader to reside.
If used as a storage device, usb hdd is just fine as it shows
in /dev directory. Freebsd has dynamic /dev and, after some
time, it is there as dax or daxsy (aka da0 or da0s1). Then
you could mount it with something like:
 mount_msdosfs -l /dev/da0 /my_directory

This was the problem. It showed up nowhere. If it had, I would have been able to mount it somehow, but I couldn't because as far as the O.S. was concerned, it didn't exist. With Debian, no problem! I'm writing to it now. But no chance with BSD.

In my case, I found that some cheap enclosures are not able to
boot from mobo, but some integrated, branded, are. If you
know the exact number, search forums for "boot linux usb hdd"
or similar.
Best regards

Thanks, Zoran.
Regards,