Re: Backlight mystery - anyone shed light? some progress

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> Thanks, Camaleon. I found a lot of people using the same laptop with
> Windows who have the same problem. In some cases a bios upgrade fixed
> it, in others not. I tried to do this but it requires using an .exe
> file, and though I could do this with both wine and dosemu I couldn't
> obtain a suitable iso file to do the upgrade. (Also, I was a little
> afraid of ending up with an unbootable machine, which a few people
> report as happening.)

don't run an exe bios upgrade inside of wine, dosemu, or any other vm.
you might be able to extract the exe and find some binary file and
then there might be some sort of linux utility to write that. however,
when you upgrade a bios, don't do anything weird because the only way
(that i know of) to test it is to reboot. well, if something isn't
written correctly and you try to reboot, you'll know because the
machine won't post.

at that point there are three choices: replace the machine, replace
the bios (might require soldering / desoldering), or rewriting the
firmware onto the bios (might not be possible depending on whether you
can find schematics for a writer for that type of chip and software).
most people (including me) shed a tear and go shopping for a new
computer at this point.

though, if your laptop is under warranty, you could call them and make
sure they'll replace the board if it doesn't post, once you confirm
they will, go and have fun :)