Openjdk vs. sun-java in Debian

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I need somebody to explain to me in lay terms what's "wrong" with Java in Debian. I'm running Squeeze and have recently bumped into two Java-related issues:

1. The site http://ndt.switch.ch/ warns me about a missing Java Runtime Environment and prompts me to install it. I checked with aptitude, and sure enough, openjdk-6-jre is installed.

2. The game http://sourceforge.net/projects/bp2k6/files/Bolzplatz%202006/Bolzplatz%202006%20v1.0.3/ won't work, and I'm far too ignorant of Java to find out what exactly I'm missing. Is it that I'm running 64-bit and the game is 32-bit? Or do I need a particular plugin? Or perhaps just a symlink to the right binary somewhere? Or the proprietary Java from Sun? Or something else?

Also, in general, how can I know when something Java-related won't work, is it the fault of the open Java I'm using or some wrong configuration somewhere in my system?

Is there any simple, yet good howto on this?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.