Re: file systems

Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> writes:

> CDDL isn't a BSD Licence, it's the licence that's used by what was Sun
> Microsystems and is now Oracle.

sorry my mistake for thinking zfs was bsd (even after you said it was
cddl)! i was confusing it with the fact that you can use zfs via
freebsd). thx for the correction.

i looked it up and the key point for me is that
"The Free Software Foundation considers it a free software license that
is incompatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License

> The BSD Licence and GNU can co-exists quite
> well and have for a very long time.

i'd forgotten this largely i think due to some of the hostility
demonstrated on the excellent freebsd mailist towards gpl (a few years
ago).

i guess this is also why you can actually have debian/freebsd then.
furthermore, we bridge the incompatibilities perhaps:

zfs --> cddl||bsd --> bsd||gpl --> debian(gpl)/freebsd(bsd)

i'm not up on the licensing protocols so i'm just guessing here.

--
in friendship,
prad