Re: file systems

Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> writes:

>> one possibility i forgot to ask about is zfs using
>> debian/freebsd.  i understand that zfs works well with freebsd,
>> so presumably it would with debian/freebsd as well.
>>
>> i'm curious as to feelings on this combo vs xfs with straight debian
>> (which is really what we are leaning to) as we start our research on
>> the matter.
>>

> You also need to take into account that CDDL (The Sun/Oracle Licence)
> is not compatible with the GNU Licence, so there are legal issues as
> well (see the ZFS link I initially posted a few days ago.) The whole
> point of the rewrite project is to have a native (in-kernel) solution
> that is legally compatible as well as stable (which it's not right
> now.)

ok this pretty well seals things. we aren't thinking about doing debian
to support the BSD license (not that i have anything personal against
it, but if we're talking 'free', we need to 'stay free' and not play with
the idea, imho).

so thanks for eliminating the final brick, chris - xfs here we come!

--
in friendship,
prad