Re: New to Linux

A couple of comments.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 01:15:08PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> >It's been my experience that most users never read the manual.
> Too much trouble.  When something breaks, they find someone to
> fix it or tell them how to.  No learning required.
      If someone tells you how to, you've certainly learned something.
      Haven't we all been to school?

> I'm really floored every once in a while by someone who can't get
> their email set up - but when you come right down to it, there is
> some trickiness to things like getting all the server names, port
> numbers, protocol selection, and passwords set up.
  	   OK, a little survey here.  How many of you use mutt, or
	   elm, or Evolution(?), and do your E-mail right from your
	   home computer?  I do, and since my ISP -- not PatriotNet,
	   incidentally -- gives me a dynamic IP
	   address I have to use a "smart host"/'relay host' for
	   my E-mail to get anywhere.  It has been my experience
	   that setting this up is very difficult, requiring a good knowledge
	   of what one's ISP requires, and what the proprietor of
	   one's relay host requires.  My Postfix setting up took
	   quite a bit of work, and I bothered lots of people on the
	   Postfix E-list before I got it right.

> I'm not sure I'd recommend any flavor of Unix to someone without
> some general understanding of computers, except maybe a Mac.  I'm
       	       Those of us who are familiar with other countries know
	       that we are uniquely dominated by M$.  Others get
	       familiar with IT much earlier, and I have the impression
	       that they are much better at it.  I bet there are tons
	       of non-native-English speakers here; I wonder if they
	       will agree with this assertion.

> (apt still rules).  I've watched one of my sons - the English major
> - ditch Windows for Arch Linux  on his ancient Compaq laptop,  learn
> the ins and outs of finding/installing drivers for various things,
> and teach himself some C and Python along the way - so you never
> know.
		Great!  I congratulate him; and you!

Best wishes,

Alan McConnell, in Silver Spring MD

> In<fnord>  practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra
  P.S. Compare my .sig of today, just below<g>.
--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
   Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.