Re: New to Linux

Alan McConnell wrote:
   	OK, a little survey here.  How many of you use mutt, or
	   elm, or Evolution(?), and do your E-mail right from your
	   home computer?  I do, and since my ISP -- not PatriotNet,
	   incidentally -- gives me a dynamic IP
	   address I have to use a "smart host"/'relay host' for
	   my E-mail to get anywhere.  It has been my experience
	   that setting this up is very difficult, requiring a good knowledge
	   of what one's ISP requires, and what the proprietor of
	   one's relay host requires.  My Postfix setting up took
	   quite a bit of work, and I bothered lots of people on the
	   Postfix E-list before I got it right.

Alpine on the server, SeaMonkey on the desktop. And I run my own mail server and list server (sympa) on a server sitting in a datacenter (legacy of once having owned a small hosting company). Yup, not easy.

It's a little easier for my father-in-law - he uses Comcast's mail servers, but reads on home computer. Took a bit of work transitioning from Verizon's mailserver - what with different ISPs blocking different SMTP ports these days.
(apt still rules).  I've watched one of my sons - the English major
- ditch Windows for Arch Linux  on his ancient Compaq laptop,  learn
the ins and outs of finding/installing drivers for various things,
and teach himself some C and Python along the way - so you never
know.
		Great!  I congratulate him; and you!
Thanks!
In<fnord>   practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra
   P.S. Compare my .sig of today, just below<g>.
--
Alan McConnell :http://patriot.net/users/alan
    Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.