Re: Trouble with apt-cache and aptitude(PROBLEM SOLVED!)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:34:52AM +0200, Bj?rn Michelsen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 05:32:05PM -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:
>
> > I am starting to feel that the database of all that is one these
> > disks is not available to me.  Are the disks perhaps flawed? (hard
> > to believe, since the install went so well)   Is there any way of
> > adjusting something so that  apt-cache and aptitude work as well
> > as they did with my 'etch' DVDs?
>
> Did you add them to your sources.list with apt-cdrom? That is,
>
>   # -d being mount point
>   apt-cdrom -d=/cdrom add
    	      No I did not.  But I've just done so, with your
	      suggestion just above -- did it with all my eight
	      disks, as the output of the command suggested --
	      and voila!  my sawfish and my Lilypond are now
	      installed.

	      My heartiest thanks to Mr Michelsen!!  Indeed, I
	      think it is something of a miracle that I posted
	      this query at 5pm EDT(USA) and within 1.5 hours
	      I received a kind and cogent response that solved
	      my problem.

	      A general point, for the wonderful Debian developers:
	      I feel that this apt-cdrom action should have been done
	      automatically at the install, as it was with my
	      etch DVDs.

	      Back to playing with my CUPS, which is still giving
	      me trouble<g>!

Best wishes to all, with a special tip of the hat to Mr Michelsen!

Alan McConnell, in Silver Spring MD

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
     I was alive in the wood . . ./ I am killed by the cruel ax. /