Trouble with apt-cache and aptitude

Assembled Wisdom!

I've been running Debian since 'sarge' was new -- other distributions
before that -- and on Saturday I finally made the move from 'etch'
to 'squeeze'.  I reinstalled, using my eight DVDs that I had bought
from LinuxCollections.com.

The install went beautifully, and my system is now very elegant, as
far as it exists.  But I noticed that I used only Disk 1.

Now I want to install e.g. Lilypond(the music typesetter) and
the Window Manager sawfish.  But when I go e.g.
    apt-cache search lilypond
(from a terminal, naturally) the prompt returns immediately.  Same
for sawfish, and various other recondite programs.

I am starting to feel that the database of all that is one these
disks is not available to me.  Are the disks perhaps flawed? (hard
to believe, since the install went so well)   Is there any way of
adjusting something so that  apt-cache and aptitude work as well
as they did with my 'etch' DVDs?

TIA for anticipated help, and greetings to all!

Alan McConnell

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
     I was alive in the wood . . ./ I am killed by the cruel ax. /