Re: New to Linux

On 04/15/2011 12:49 PM, Krzysztof Bieniasz wrote:
FWIW: O'Reilly published a Special Edition book LEARNING DEBIAN
GNU/LINUX (c. 1999).  It was a very good introduction and step-by-step
guide to installing and using Debian.  I got it for free from the Debian
booth at Las Vegas COMDEX 1999.  This was the first year Linux had a
major presence at COMDEX.  Having the Linux people all in one exhibit
hall greatly simplified my investigations of making the switch from the
Amiga. I still have the book.  However, ultimately, I chose Mandrake 7
as my first distro.  Debian was not a distro for the noobie, either then
or now.

I wouldn't agree. I started with Debian being a complete noob and I
manage somehow. Actually some of my first experiences were with compiling
the kernel because the one bundled with stable (Lenny) didn't have the
module for my wireless interface :). And I managed to get it to work then
although I suppose the process must've looked funny. I wouldn't try that
today though... Nowadays just about any distro is noob-friendly enough,
perhaps excluding Gentoo and Slackware.

KTB

I did my first installation of Debian right when Etch came out in April 2007, and I had only been playing around with Knoppix, Puppy and Ubuntu for a couple of months before that.

Debian isn't any harder for a noob than Ubuntu, and the more welcoming we are as current users of Debian to newer users, the better.

--
Steven Rosenberg
Life, the Universe and Debian