Re: Nvidia drivers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, James Allsopp wrote:
On 18/04/11 13:56, Erwan David wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 01:41:46PM CEST, James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> said:

Hi, My source.list has the following;

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

Done, that and still get the same error; full output is Hawaiian:/home/ja# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not
  upgraded.  Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be
  used.  W: Did not understand pin type *

For me, nvidia-kernel-dkms is in testing and above and not in stable.

Here's the output:

$ apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-dkms
nvidia-kernel-dkms:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 260.19.44-1
  Version table:
     270.30-1 0
        200 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/non-free i386
        Packages
     260.19.44-1 0
        400 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/non-free i386
        Packages
	300 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/non-free i386
	Packages

So I would suggest adding testing to your repos. I have this:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Regards,
V.