Fan control and laptop battery

Hi all,

I'm using Debian sid on a Dell XPS, Core i7 with Nvidia. The battery
duration and the fan control is much better on Windows 7 than on
Debian, unfortunately. I'm trying to improve this situation, so

1) Can I trust on powertop and implement what it is telling me to do?
For example, I cannot find documentation either on /usr/share/doc or
the web for things like

"NMI watchdog should be turned off"
"Enable Audio codec power management"

And so on - there are several on the list. What is it going to change?
How to revert if something goes wrong?

2) The fan is turning on much more frequently on Debian than in
Windows, maybe as a consequence of the laptop being running much
hotter than in Windows.

Thanks!

PS: Please CC me.

Ivan S.P. Marin