[Solved]: Debian on a Macbook (Leopard): package xserver-xorg-video-intel leads to blank screen on reboot

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:41:35AM -0500, Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
> Arvind, 11.04.2011:
> >
> > Over the weekend, i had time to investigate some more. I purged Xorg
> > and all its dependencies. Since my graphics card is intel, X only
> > requires xserver-xorg-video-intel, xserver-xorg-video-vesa,
> > xserver-xorg-video-fbdev and xinit (for startx). I installed each of
> > these packages alone, and rebooted the machine. It is only the
> > xserver-xorg-video-intel package that leads to a blank screen on
> > reboot. When i purge this package and install the other three X
> > packages, the problem does not recur on rebooting. So presently, i am
> > running X only using the generic vesa video driver. That would perhaps
> > lead to a sub-optimal use of the video card capabilities. But the only
> > workaround is to purge xserver-xorg-video-intel before every shutdown,
> > and reinstall it after every boot. I do not like that option.
> >
> > A clarification: both xserver-xorg-video-intel and
> > xserver-oxrg-video-vesa depend on xserver-xorg-core. I have checked
> > and made sure that xserver-xorg-core and its dependencies do not cause
> > this problem. It is specifically (and only) the package
> > xserver-xorg-video-intel.
> >
> > One more clarification: i have not installed X/G/KDM, so X should not
> > (try to) start at boot. Davide had suggested that as a possibility. I
> > don't think xserver-xorg-video-intel package alone should lead to X
> > starting at boot.
> >
> > In summary, if i do
> > 1) an absolute minimal installation of debian amd64 on a macbook (see
> > above for configuration details of the machine),
> > 2) install the package xserver-xorg-video-intel and
> > 3) reboot
> > then the kernel gets selected at the grub prompt, i see few lines
> > scrolling down, and then the screen goes blank. I can ssh to the
> > machine so i know it does complete the booting process.
> Could it be related to KMS?  I really don't have much experience with
> KMS but from reading messages on this list I got the feeling it's
> something that can affect (i.e. possibly screw up) both the console
> and X together, which sounds like your problem.

Good catch - i installed xserver-xorg-video-intel, and disabled KMS by
changing the relevant parameter in /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf - the
problem does not recur on reboot.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

> You might want to look at http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting
> and try the advice under the section "Disabling KMS"...

Coincidentally, i too had reached this page through a different route.
I had installed some software in the past few days, including mplayer,
and it could not provide fullscreen video, with 'xvinfo' giving "no
adaptors present". A google search led to a suggestion to disable
KMS, and further search on KMS lead to the above wiki. I thought maybe
this was also causing the blank screen problem, and then i saw your
mail... :-)

Unfortunately, the problem with 'xvinfo' persists despite disabling
KMS - that needs further investigation, time permitting )-:

Thanks to all for the help.

believed to be clean.