Fwd: Re: When installing from a CD image How to Gain Internet Access using a router and What is to Enter as Proxy information?

Subject: Re: When installing from a CD image How to Gain Internet Access using
a router and What is to Enter as Proxy information?
Date: Monday 18 April 2011
From: Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com>
To: Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>

On 18 April 2011 11:57, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2011 07:23:27 Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>> I am trying to install from a CD image of 180MB, On the way I am asked to
>> select a Mirror and also a proxy, I am Using a router to connect to the
>> Internet. I  selected a mirror and left the proxy information blank.The
>> Installation process displays a message that says unable to gain Internet
>> connection and that only a basic Debian System can be installed.How will I
>> be able to gain Internet connection.What is the proxy information that I
>> should Enter
>
> Is your router set up as a DHCP server?
>
> Lisi

Lisi
    DHCP was not enabled But I now enabled it.Now what am I to Do?

Sorry, Varuna.  I sent this off-list by mistake.  I am now putting it back on
list so that you can gain  the benefit of some knowledgeable input.

It depends on whether your main aim at this stage is to get your system up and
running or whether you are after a learning exercise.

I would recommend starting the installation again.  You should now have a
painless installation.

Otherwise you will have to select and install all the software you need.  You
could edit /etc/network/interfaces and then run tasksel, but it is not as
comprehensive as it is during installation; and that whole process is quite
complicated and probably not a good place to start.  I am assuming from your
emails that you are new to Debian?

Lisi