snapshots

As noted in another thread ("Wheezy upgrade trashes display"), upgrades on
Monday left me with no X-windows.  I suspect this happened when the kernel
was upgraded from 2.6.32-5-686 to 2.6.38-2-686.  I can imagine uninstalling
all the new packages, including the new kernel, but I'm not optimistic that
would get me back to my happy 2.6.32 system.

I've used VMware Server and virtualbox to run virtual XP clients, and they
let me take a snapshot of the system before trying any risky changes.  If the
client blows up, it's trivial to revert to the snapshot.  Is there any way to
take and restore such snapshots from the Linux host?   It sure would be
useful.

Thanks.