Re: New to Linux

Thanks Larry! I'll get hold of the book asap!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM, <owens@netptc.net> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 4/12/2011 11:41:13 AM
Subject: New to Linux

Hello People,

I am new to Linux and Debian. Whats the best way to start on things?
Currently I'm a Computer Science student and have experience only with algorithms! Comfortable with C/C++
but willing to learn more to help me get started with the OS mentioned above!

I need suggestions on projects I can participate in considering I am just a noob in this.

I have experiences with the Search Technology. I have also created a forum to promote programming among my peers where we organize monthly contests on this portal. www.code.vrglinug.org

Regards
Rishabh

I'm sure you will have lots of courses involving operating systems in your future curriculum.  However if you want to start now I would recommend a very simple (and quite old) text Operating Systems Design and Implementation by Tanenbaum.  The O/S described is much like UNIX (or Linux), written primarily in C, and the book comes with source code.

Larry