Radeon fglrx performance gone in Testing AMD64

Hi,

Somewhere this week the video card performance dropped spectacularly.
All drag and drop operations and (web) page scrolling are suddenly
excruciating slow. Glxgears went from > 5000 to 60 frames per second (I
know, glxgears is no benchmark). Also my screen is not painted
correctly: it seems that the system "forgets" to paint all the pixels
and I am forced to change the size of my windows to get it repainted,
even if I have enabled the "Tear Free Desktop" option in the Catalyst
Control Center.

The are no signs in any log file that there are problems with the
driver. I do not however see any signs of loading the firmware for the
card.

How can I check if the firmware is actually loaded?
Does anyone have an idea of what else could be wrong?

I am using a ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP, the latest Debian AMD64 Testing
with kernel 2.6.38, fglrs 11-3-1 (non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display
driver).

Some output of glxinfo:

jkr@panoramix:~$  glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP
OpenGL version string: 3.3.10600 Compatibility Profile Context
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld