Re: New to Linux

--- On Tue, 4/12/11, rishabh animesh <rishabh.animesh@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to Linux and Debian. Whats the best way to start on things?
> Currently I'm a Computer Science student and have experience only with
> algorithms! Comfortable with C/C++ but willing to learn more to help me
> get started with the OS mentioned above!

The best way?  Buy a non-distro specific text on Linux, first, to establish a good foundation for additional learning.  Don't waste your time searching the web for information.  There is a lot of stuff out there, and it will just overwhelm and confuse you.  I suggest RUNNING LINUX (O'Reilly, pub.).  I think the most current is the 5th edition, which although is 5 years old is still a good place to start.  I have the 3rd Edition which is 12 years old and I still use it as a reference.  It was the first Linux book I purchased.

Worry about programming "projects" later.  Until you know how Linux works, you'd be wasting your time coding for it now.