Re: Hash salt (was Re: BCRYPT - Why not using it?)

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 06:37:38PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> So is the salt a fixed number of characters?

From system to system, it varies. On my Fedora 14 virtual machine, it's 16
characters. On Debian 6.0 stable, it's 8.

> Otherwise, how would a process know which portion of the
> string is the salt?

You can read the shadow(5) manual on your Debian system to learn about the
syntax of the password. However, I'll give you the rundown:

The password is separated by '$'. Between the first and second '$' tells
the process what algorithm to use for the hash (MD5, SHA1, bcrypt, etc.).
Between the second and third '$' is the salt itself. After the third '$' is
the hash.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o