Re: Hash salt (was Re: BCRYPT - Why not using it?)

In <[🔎] 4D9D1B22.2010608@cox.net>, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 04/06/2011 08:19 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>> First, if you don't have the salt, but you do have the hash, then a
>> rainbow table attack is completely pointless.
>
>The OS must store the salt somewhere, in order to correctly authenticate
>the user when he logs in.  But I've never heard of /etc/hashsalt so what
>am I misunderstanding?

The value stored in /etc/shadow is both the salt + the encrypted
salt+password.  This allows a process with read access to /etc/shadow to
easily read the shadow, encrypt the salt + provided password, and compare the
result to the encrypted salt+password.  The salt is randomly generated each
time the password is set, and it (usually) different for each entry in
/etc/shadow.

This increases the size of a rainbow table by a factor of 2^(bits in salt),
effectively stopping the attack for all but the most high-profile target with
just an 8-bit salt.  I'm not sure how many bits are used in a modern salt, but
I think it is somewhere between 48-bits and 64-bits.

Salted MD5 is still considered secure, even with the known attacks against
MD5.  Salted SHA1 has no attacks more effective than brute-force.  I'd like to
believe that shadow passwords will more to SHA3 within 2-3 releases after SHA3
is finalized.  At the current rate of attack improvements against MD5, that
should be plenty of time.