Hash salt (was Re: BCRYPT - Why not using it?)

On 04/06/2011 08:19 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
[snip]

First, if you don't have the salt, but you do have the hash, then a rainbow
table attack is completely pointless. Reason being is rainbow tables store
hashes with a 1:1 ration to text. How the table is traversed is another
story, but the fact remains that one hash will lead you to one piece of
text. Now add a salt. If the salt is unknown, the length of the salt is
8 characters, and the characters used in the salt are [A-Za-z0-9./], or 64
characters, then there are effectively 64^8 possible hashes for one

The OS must store the salt somewhere, in order to correctly authenticate the user when he logs in. But I've never heard of /etc/hashsalt so what am I misunderstanding?

corrupt."