Re: Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> 10. Can I install server packages on an Ubuntu Desktop installation
> and vice versa?
>
> Yes – Ubuntu’s flexibility makes it easy. The Ubuntu software repositories
> do not isolate packages to particular types of deployments. All the server
> software in the repositories is available to the desktop user, and all the
> desktop software can also be installed on the server.

The difference between desktop and server is that the server kernel
config is tailored to servers (CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED for example)
and, since and including 9.10, only has an amd64 version.