Re: accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

On 2011-04-02, Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:33:25 +0000 (UTC), I wrote:
>
>> I have a Wheezy host, an XP virtualbox client, and an old LaserJet 5MP
>> configured with CUPS and connected by a parallel port.  How can I access this
>> printer from the XP client?
>
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Liam O'Toole replied:
>
>> Assuming the virtualbox client uses NAT networking (the default), the
>> client can't connect directly to the host's CUPS daemon. Instead tell it
>> to connect to the virtual private address 10.0.2.0 or similar; see the
>> output of the route command on the guest to determine the precise
>> gateway address.
>
> Thanks, but I'm not there yet.  On the XP client, I ran "route" from the
> command prompt and got, in part:
>
> route PRINT
> route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0  157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
>        destination^      ^mask      ^gateway     metric^    ^
>                                                    Interface^

That gateway is an external, routable IP address. What sort of networking
are you using in virtualbox? Can you tell us more about the network
configuration within the XP guest OS?

> So I tried setting up an XP network printer at these two URLs:
>
>   http://157.55.80.1:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>   http://157.0.0.0:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>
> but neither was found.  I also tried 192.168.1.0, which is shown by route on
> the Linux host.  "LaserJet_5MP" is the correct Linux name for the printer,
> but I must still be doing something wrong.

You need to arrange for the XP guest to connect to the CUPS daemon on
the wheezy host (and configure the CUPS daemon to accept such
connections). I don't think that the router IP address is relevant here.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland