Re: accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:33:25 +0000 (UTC), I wrote:

> I have a Wheezy host, an XP virtualbox client, and an old LaserJet 5MP
> configured with CUPS and connected by a parallel port.  How can I access this
> printer from the XP client?

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Liam O'Toole replied:

> Assuming the virtualbox client uses NAT networking (the default), the
> client can't connect directly to the host's CUPS daemon. Instead tell it
> to connect to the virtual private address 10.0.2.0 or similar; see the
> output of the route command on the guest to determine the precise
> gateway address.

Thanks, but I'm not there yet.  On the XP client, I ran "route" from the
command prompt and got, in part:

route PRINT
route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0  157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
       destination^      ^mask      ^gateway     metric^    ^
                                                   Interface^

So I tried setting up an XP network printer at these two URLs:

  http://157.55.80.1:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
  http://157.0.0.0:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP

but neither was found.  I also tried 192.168.1.0, which is shown by route on
the Linux host.  "LaserJet_5MP" is the correct Linux name for the printer,
but I must still be doing something wrong.