Re: accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

On 2011-04-02, Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:
> I have a Wheezy host, an XP virtualbox client, and an old LaserJet 5MP
> configured with CUPS and connected by a parallel port.  How can I access this
> printer from the XP client?
>
> In XP Add Printer, I tried to define a network printer at these URLs:
>
>   http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>   http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>
> but they were not found.  (192.168.1.2 is my port on a local router; ifconfig
> shows it for eth0.)  The CUPS interface at localhost:631 lists the connection
> site as "parallel:/dev/lp0".

Assuming the virtualbox client uses NAT networking (the default), the
client can't connect directly to the host's CUPS daemon. Instead tell it
to connect to the virtual private address 10.0.2.0 or similar; see the
output of the route command on the guest to determine the precise
gateway address.

> I have not set up Samba sharing.  As shown below, /etc/cups/printers.conf
> shows the printer as shared, and I thought that should suffice.

Yes, samba should not be necessary.

> I gather virtualbox won't support the parallel-port connection directly.  I
> did succeed with a USB-to-parallel adapter cable and defining a USB printer,
> but I'd rather use the CUPS shared printer if possible.

--- SNIP ---

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland