Re: dreaded ethernet device renaming

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:37:57 -0400 (EDT), David Goodenough wrote:
> > have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.  This file
> > tries to make sure that network adapters are always named in the
> > same way in whatever order they are started.  The problem comes
> > when you replace a network adapter.  To get the system to accept
> > the new adapter as the original simply remove this file and
> > reboot.  Udev will then recreate the file using the now installed
> > adapters.
>
> That works fine on machines that have only one network adapter (not
> counting lo). But if your machine has more than one network adapter,
> it is a good idea to rename the file, rather than erase it.  Make
> sure the new version of the file does not end in .rules, so that it
> won't take effect.  After a shutdown and reboot, a new version
> of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules will be generated.  You
> can then compare the old version of the file with the new version of
> the file and figure out which MAC address was replaced with which MAC
> address.  Then, edit the old version of the file and change the old
> MAC address to the new MAC address.  Save the changes, exit the
> editor, erase the new version of the file (the one you didn't edit),
> rename the old version of the file to the production name, shutdown
> and reboot.  The new network adapter will now have the interface name
> of the old adapter.

Thanks to everyone who responded !

That explains everything.  I changed motherboards out from under the
system.  So it appended the new eth to the old ones.

It seems to me that this is a really ugly user trap, even if it's a
trap you get into replacing the old motherboard.

Brian