Re: dreaded ethernet device renaming

On Thursday 31 March 2011, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> I mean really, why does the system still do stupid sh*t like this.
>
>   renamed network interface eth0 to eth3
>
> Why oh why !  It was already eth0, what possible reason could it have
> to go rename it.
>
> oh and by the way, just to be maximally annoying, it most certainly
> decieds to name it something else every once in a while...
>
> Regardless, here's my udev line which does NOT work.
>
> KERNEL=="eth*",SUBSYSTEM=="net",ATTR{address}=="macaddress",NAME="eth0"
>
> I've triple-checked the mac address.
>
> Nor does the instructions in the wiki page work:
>
> KERNEL==”eth*”, SYSFS{address}==”00:12:34:fe:dc:ba”, NAME=”eth0″
>
> SYSFS  is wrong...
> My guess is that NAME doesn't work either, but I can't figure out what
> to use in it's place
>
> Could some kind soul put me on the path to enlightenment ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brian
have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.  This file
tries to make sure that network adapters are always named in the same
way in whatever order they are started.  The problem comes when you replace a
network adapter.  To get the system to accept the new adapter as the original
simply remove this file and reboot.  Udev will then recreate the file using
the now installed adapters.

David