Re: What temporary space does aptitude use?

On 2011-03-30 16:58 +0200, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> When aptitude is upgrading a system, it first downloads a whole lot of
> packages into cache, and then installs them.  This means there has to be
> enough disk spoace somewhere for both the old system and the downloaded
> packages.
>
> I need to ensure that I reserve enough space for the lenny->squeeze
> upgrade.
>
> In which file system does it place this probably huge cache?

The downloaded debs are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives by default,
you can change that location via apt's Dir::Cache::archives
configuration variable (see apt.conf(5) for details).

> Is there other temporary space usage I need to watch out for?

You need to ensure that the root partition has enough space for both the
old and the new kernel (an amd64 kernel with all its modules requires
~100 MiB of disk space).  Note that you have to clean up old unused
kernels manually, they are never autoremoved.

Sven