Re: cups in squeeze with ethernet postscript printer

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [110329 18:21]:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 00:54:28 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
> > I have made repeated attempts without success to use the web interface
> > (localhost:631) to install a PostScript printer with HP JetDirect
> > interface in the lan.  My computer is an i386 running Squeeze.
>
> (...)
>
> I've got all of my HP/OKI/Ricoh networked printers binded to the
> "socket://" backend and working fine. And all manually set, of course,
> without using any of that autodetection "black magic" ;-)

Hi, Camaleón.  By accident, I discovered that CUPSYS now expects to
be administered through the gnome desktop system -> administration ->
printing menu -- or so it appears to me.  This works MUCH better than
does the webadmin page "localhost:631".

I was able to add two printers and switch from one to the other, but a
number of choices which the webadmin page provided do not appear in
the system -> administration -> printing menu.

Moreover, I did not see how to make the "new and improved" CUPSYS
understand that I have a Postscript printer.  It appears to me (I may
be mistaken) that now Ghostscript is processing the output for the HP
printer control language.

Finally, the "Printer Test Page" still is crude, ugly, and
uninformative -- typical of the stuff I used to see back when I was
working in the Macintosh "built for morons and technophobes"
environment.

Someone needs to take a step or two back and branch CUPSYS from Lenny
or even Etch.

RLH