Another mouse issue+Xorg after upgrade

My mouse became unusable (frozen) after the upgrade (done the debian
way, with the kernel and udev upgraded first).  It would come back after
a reboot, maybe, or not.  i.e.--sometimes it would work, sometimes not.
 Very Windows-like, btw...

Here's the pertinent info from Xorg:

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The current workaround (and how I'm able to send this now) was to
erase/move the old xorg.conf and run nvidia-xconfig.  This gave me a
usable desktop but I'm not confident that I'm going to have the issue
again (the above entry is the *new* xorg.conf...and it reads the same as
the old).  How do I fix this? (and kernel building, while possible, is
not plan 'a' as I really don't have a lot of time.../rant on: I waited
on debian squeeze to get stable to keep a workable system for my job and
other issues.  Now, my 'stable' distribution is not stable and I can't
count on it to work when I need too.../rant off)

I read somewhere that the xorg.conf will be eliminated...are we there
yet and, if it will help, how do I get it done?