Re: Installing Etch

On 2011-03-28 09:18:31 Andrei Popescu wrote:
>On Lu, 28 mar 11, 15:11:37, Lisi wrote:
>> On Monday 28 March 2011 12:37:41 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>>
>> That repository appears to be non-existent.  I couldn't even ping it. :-(
>> I tried a fair number of other repositories.  They existed, but said that
>> the requested files didn't.   Plan B (the DVDs).
>
>Lisi, you need archive.debian.org. Not sure exactly how the sources.list
>line should look like though, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

For Free Software:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

For Sources
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

Getting contrib, non-free, and their corresponding sources is left as an
exercise for the reader.

Note that Etch has a number of known, unpatched security vulnerabilities and
receives no real support from the Debian project.  Moving to Lenny should be
made a priority; any time spend working with Etch should be (at least) matched
with the same amount of time pursuing an upgrade to Lenny.

(Even Lenny is "oldstable", but at least you should get 10+ months of security
support on that and it's the first step in upgrading to Squeeze anyway.)