Re: Squeeze, GPT, GRUB2 and Software RAID1

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Georgi Naplatanov <gosho@oles.biz> wrote:

> I have 2 disk Western Digital WD2002FAEX - 2TB and I want to install Squeeze
> with software RAID 1 and GPT instead of old MSDOS partition map.
>
> I want to use GRUB2 as boot loader, but I read that is needed to be created
> a BIOS Boot Partition.[1]
>
> I have 2 disk and I want when one of them fail to be possible to boot from
> another.
>
> My question is - Will installer, GRUB2 and Squeeze handle synchronization of
> BIOS Boot Partition on both disks or I have to do it manually and eventually
> how to do it manually ?

I've found that you have to format your disks before the install (and
create a bios_grub partition) and you then have to run "grub-install
/dev/sdb" once you're booted into your install.

You can probably install grub on both disks by refusing to install to
the MBR and then installing it to (hd0) and (hd1) but I've never tried
it.